If you are planning to become pregnant, you may consider scheduling a pre-conception visit to discuss any current medical conditions you may have, any medications you are currently taking or any concerns you have regarding your personal family history. This will help you to identify conditions that may affect the course of a future pregnancy or the health of a fetus. Such conditions often respond to intervention, enhancing your odds of a healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby.
If your insurance covers a pre-pregnancy visit (or if you choose to pay out of pocket if it’s not covered) make an appointment at A Woman’s View. Otherwise, the following considerations will be very helpful as you prepare to conceive:
- Begin making healthy eating choices. Avoid processed foods, and eat lean protein, fresh vegetables and fruit.
- Start an exercise routine that you can carry on throughout your pregnancy.
- Have a complete physical examination to determine your own health. Be sure you are up to date on your immunizations.
- Begin taking prenatal vitamins. You may also wish to start taking a Vitamin D
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Speak with your healthcare provider about any recreational, prescription, herbal or over-the-counter drugs you may be taking.
- Avoid environmental hazards, such as radiation and chemicals.
- Limit your intake of caffeine.
- Get at least eight hours of sleep per night.